The Leslieviller will always be free to use.
Donations are sincerely appreciated.
  Follow activity on The Leslieviller
in your favorite social networks:

Thanks to our advertisers for keeping this site free to use! If you'd like to advertise on The Leslieviller, start with this information.

We rudely hijacked the Opening Soon restaurants thread earlier today with chatter about what constitutes Leslieville borders or boundaries, so I wanted to create a new thread for the discussion so as not to further pollute Bob's thread!


Views: 1535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gerrard to the water, Broadview to Coxwell.
I spoke to a friend who lives on Craven Rd. a few weeks ago and she maintained she doesn't feel she lives in Leslieville or the Beach. She tells people she lives in Ashbridge's Bay. Makes sense but it's the first time I've heard it referred to as a separate 'hood.
I agree with you Nancy. The only rub is the businesses west of the train tracks that pay into the Riverside BIA. :)

Nancy said:
Gerrard to the water, Broadview to Coxwell. I spoke to a friend who lives on Craven Rd. a few weeks ago and she maintained she doesn't feel she lives in Leslieville or the Beach. She tells people she lives in Ashbridge's Bay. Makes sense but it's the first time I've heard it referred to as a separate 'hood.
Seems to me that the people who live closer to Gerrard, ie., north of Dundas, live in either Little India or.... hmmmm.... Little Chinatown (?). At least, that's how friends who live on Hiawatha just south of Gerrard refer to their 'hood.
So if you live on Badgerow Ave you live in "Gerrard Squareville"?

John L said:
Seems to me that the people who live closer to Gerrard, ie., north of Dundas, live in either Little India or.... hmmmm.... Little Chinatown (?). At least, that's how friends who live on Hiawatha just south of Gerrard refer to their 'hood.
Defining a neighbourhood is tricky. Badgerow is a tricky street. Several years ago, we looked at a great house on Tiverton, which didn't feel like Leslieville, but rather more like S. Riverdale. We also looked at houses around Hiawatha/Ashdale and Gerrard which is an area with a slighlty different vibe. As I said, our friends call it "Little India". I once owned a loft at Carlaw and Dundas (on the west side of the street) which everyone in the building referred to as South Riverdale (Leslieville had less cache back then) while my friends across the street referred to their place as "Leslieville".
Technically, Leslieville begins at Booth, at least according to the street signs. McGee and Empire both have Riverside on their signs.

I think the eastern boundary is Greenwood. Further east, the neighbourhood has a much more "Beachy" vibe. I've always assumed the northern boundary was Gerrard.

Although Riverside has the benefit of a BIA, it has very low awareness as a separate entity to Leslieville for non-locals. Note all the press surrounding Lynn Crawford's new restaurant mentions its Leslieville location, when in fact, it's in Riverside.

A year ago, the Toronto Star did a feature on Toronto's neighbourhoods and what the boundaries of each were. The map they created can be found here. It's interactive, so there's a bit of clicking and zooming involved. Their northern border follows the rail line to Greenwood and goes as far east as Coxwell
According to the City it does go from Booth to Coxwell.
This I know from the BIA planning that had been discussed.
So while people here may try to define it as they see fit - it has already been defined.
Well, Wikipedia is never wrong, so seems like the city has made an error: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslieville

Richard Renaud said:
According to the City it does go from Booth to Coxwell.
This I know from the BIA planning that had been discussed.
So while people here may try to define it as they see fit - it has already been defined.
What about us little group of businesses on the block of Queen immediately east of Greenwood? Not to speak for any of them, but this discussion has made me a little sad :( Are we in some kind of undefined vacuum?


p.s. I'm not THAT sad, but if anyone feels bad for me, you could buy me a London Fog from The Red Rocket... mmmm.
Well Leslieville doesn't have a BIA, at least not yet. So until it does, anything discussed in that context is draft, not in any way official. You'll know we have a BIA when all the commercial property owners start complaining about a BIA fee levied on their property taxes, and the rent for those commercial storefront properties goes up. :)

Richard Renaud said:
According to the City it does go from Booth to Coxwell.
This I know from the BIA planning that had been discussed.
So while people here may try to define it as they see fit - it has already been defined.
No need to feel sad. I think most people, at least those who have given their take of the boundaries on this site, believe Leslieville goes as far east as Coxwell. So you're all part of the L-crowd! :)

The Ten Spot said:
What about us little group of businesses on the block of Queen immediately east of Greenwood? Not to speak for any of them, but this discussion has made me a little sad :( Are we in some kind of undefined vacuum?
p.s. I'm not THAT sad, but if anyone feels bad for me, you could buy me a London Fog from The Red Rocket... mmmm.
Thanks Nolin :)

Nolin said:
No need to feel sad. I think most people, at least those who have given their take of the boundaries on this site, believe Leslieville goes as far east as Coxwell. So you're all part of the L-crowd! :)

The Ten Spot said:
What about us little group of businesses on the block of Queen immediately east of Greenwood? Not to speak for any of them, but this discussion has made me a little sad :( Are we in some kind of undefined vacuum?
p.s. I'm not THAT sad, but if anyone feels bad for me, you could buy me a London Fog from The Red Rocket... mmmm.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Leslieville Local Business Marketing - 10 ways to use TheLeslieviller.com

Posted by Nolin (Admin) on February 3, 2011 at 12:00pm 4 Comments

When I launched this site in early 2009, one of the compelling reasons for doing so was that I was struck by how many of the businesses in Leslieville are locally owned and operated.  Another big observation was (and still is) how proud most…

Continue

LESLIEVILLE ON TWITTER

© 2018   8844615 Canada Inc.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service