The Leslieviller will always be free to use.
Donations are sincerely appreciated.
  Follow activity on The Leslieviller
in your favorite social networks:

Thanks to our advertisers for keeping this site free to use! If you'd like to advertise on The Leslieviller, start with this information.

They posted a sign in the window. It's a Scotish pub called McGugans. Great news for the developing area! :) the website is http://www.McGugans.com

Tags: Gerrard, bar, jones, leslieville, pub

Views: 4064

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We stopped in too, just in time for the piper! It's looking really good.

We went on Friday and the sign on the door said they would be open today...

Stopped in last night. The place was packed! Great vibe and lovely staff. Menu looked great. Will definitely be back! 

Stopped in yesterday for brunch, and for dinner and drinks the weekend before.

The drink list is decent, stocked with Innis & Gunn and Atomic Smashbomb IPA, as well as the more traditional beers: Mill Street, Guinness, etc. The food was better then what you would find at your local cookie cutter pub and the menu provided nice twists on traditional Scottish pub fare. The portions were what I expected for dinner but I found the brunch to be a little sparse.

The atmosphere is... new. It still lacks character. For example, the stock photography of predictable pipers on the wall put me to sleep while I was waiting for my wife to return from the washroom. 

My only real complaint is the prices. Some items seem to be fairly priced, while others outlandishly expensive. My pregnant wife, who obviously was not drinking alcohol, had a cranberry & water plus one refill. We were charged $6.00 for the first drink, and $6.00 for the refill. A premium Innis & Gunn is $6.85.  Next time she'll probably drink water.  I came out from the experience that I was nickel and dimed the whole time I was there. $8 for a deep fried Mars bar? I really hope they make the Mars bar themselves (we never ordered it, so.. really, I hope they make the Mars bar from scratch!).

Overall, it's a great little pub in an area that's lacking one. It may not become my regular stomping grounds for food, but I'll return for the drink menu!

I found it a bit loud.  No carpet means the place sounds like a bus station.  Not to mention loud local lads over the flat picture tube.  A bit of class goes a long way.  I want this place to be successful.  

My husband and I checked it out on Saturday night. 

We really liked it.  Decor, not the most original, but typical of a pub.  I enjoyed all the food that we had, good portions.  Service was fast and friendly.  My only complaint is that the amount of wine given is not much for a $10 glass. 

The place was packed, which is really exciting.  I hope it does well and contributes to the slow transformation of that despressing strip on Gerrard. 

Hey guys, I spoke to one of the owners of GBK and McGugans, and he mentioned that he is in the middle of renovating the store to the west of GBK with plans to open an Italian restaurant soon :)

Ya I notice when I drive by, that it is usually packed.  At least in the front.  The back room needs something though, if they haven't changed it since Robbie Burns' Night.  

Anita said:

The place was packed, which is really exciting.  I hope it does well and contributes to the slow transformation of that despressing strip on Gerrard. 

I know what you mean Scratch, not sure what it is though.  Maybe the wall between the dinning area and bar needs to come done.  Somehow it felt a little claustrophobic and not cozy because you can't see outside. 

That would great.  Looks like they are taking over that strip. 

Lara Zach said:

Hey guys, I spoke to one of the owners of GBK and McGugans, and he mentioned that he is in the middle of renovating the store to the west of GBK with plans to open an Italian restaurant soon :)

Has a good beer list, but like many new pubs in the Leslieville area, they all try to be a bit too Gastro, if you just want to grab a beer and a snack you have few food options. why does everything have to be duck fat this or that? A burger starting at 16 bucks, and most mains at around $18-$20 for bar food seems too high for an impromptu night out on Gerrard. Look to The Roy for how to get the right mix of warmth and comfort food at reasonable prices, and i'd be back more often. right now it feels a bit sterile and is lacking food options.

Have been there for brunch just after they opened and stopped in for a quick lunch too. I agree that the drink list is good but the prices are a tad high for what you get. I had the duck sandwich for lunch and it was very good, but for $14 I expected a bit more than what I got. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Leslieville Local Business Marketing - 10 ways to use TheLeslieviller.com

Posted by Nolin (Admin) on February 3, 2011 at 12:00pm 4 Comments

When I launched this site in early 2009, one of the compelling reasons for doing so was that I was struck by how many of the businesses in Leslieville are locally owned and operated.  Another big observation was (and still is) how proud most…

Continue

LESLIEVILLE ON TWITTER

© 2014   8844615 Canada Inc.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service