The Leslieviller will always be free to use.
Donations are sincerely appreciated.
  Follow activity on The Leslieviller
in your favorite social networks:

Thanks to our advertisers for keeping this site free to use! If you'd like to advertise on The Leslieviller, start with this information.

From what I understand based on some online posts and a flyer in my mailbox, the Leslieville Residents Association is a recently formed group of people in the area who are raising opposition to the TTC's planned development of the new streetcar maintenance yard, and the associated tracks down Leslie Street.

Is that the extent of the group's focus?  If so, the name of the group may be a bit misleading.  I'm sure it is umintentional, but the name implies that:
  • the group speaks on behalf of the residents of Leslieville and represents the opinions of those residents, not just the subset of residents who take issue with the TTC plan
  • the group is engaged in the broad spectrum of issues that impact the residents of Leslieville, not just the TTC plan
If the group is indeed endeavoring to deal with the broader range of opinions and issues that Leslieville residents care about, I would love to hear more about that.

If, however, this is a TTC Plan opposition committee trying to invoke the implied support of all Leslieville residents, I would hope that the group might consider a name change to more accurately reflect who they are and what their purpose is.

Views: 305

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From the little information I have seen floating around, it seems the group was formed for the main purpose of fighting the TTC - the TTC has been the basis of much conversation from those involved in the group.

I agree that a) either a name change is in order, or b) that perhaps this group should broaden its horizons and gain some exposure to other items that affect Leslieville.
I suspect the person that started the now infamous "Soup Nazi" thread can address these concerns. Just a hunch.
Hi, I am one of the founding members and am happy to share some insights.

The planned TTC route on Leslie Street was indeed the catalyst to our group of residents meeting and discussing strategies regarding the TTC plans. During our sharing of experiences and information we identified that the number one issue was lack of a transparent process and a poorly designed communication process defended by both the City and our Councillors. Our original group felt that the treatment residents received regarding the notification of the TTC plans resulted from a belief that there was no community in this area. We strongly objected to this.

As we discussed it further we decided to establish a "Leslieville Residents Association" to unite residents of the community to ensure that we are all involved in decisions being made that directly impact our neighbourhood and to ensure that information is widely available.

We plan to incorporate and to represent all residents in Leslieville and to help ensure that residents' issues are brought to the forefront and that our community has a strong voice. We want active participation in the Association and for residents to alert us to their concerns and issues.

The Association is supporting the Leslie Street resident's endeavour to have a more transparent and participatory process with the TTC; however the much larger picture is to create a voice for the community and to provide a platform for residents to voice their concerns and ask for help, support or guidance.

We are looking for volunteers and will be providing more information in the coming week. In the interim you can add your name to our mailing list by e-mailing info@leslievilleresidents.ca

We are also selling Leslievilian and Leslieville Forever (complete with Maple Leaf) buttons at $2.00 each. If you are interested please e-mail for more information.

We are desirous that the association represent our community and its many voices. We hope that everyone will participate and get informed and involved whether it be as a volunteer or a member and whether you support the proposed route on Leslie or are opposed to it - all opinions are welcome.

We all love Leslieville (many of us are "lifers") and we want to ensure that all of our various neighbours have a voice. The TTC issue is the first issue identified as a concern for residents. If there are additional concerns please e-mail them to us.

I hope this has helped clarify the objectives. We are still in the early stages and I will be happy to update as we go. We will also have a website to help keep residents up to date on our progress.
I don't like the name either. It's presumptuous to say you represent the Leslieville residents when you have not been chosen by the residents to represent them. You should change your group's name to more accurately represent who you are and what you're doing.
+1 that a name change is necessary. As Nolin and others have said, your group has not been chosen by the community, therefore, you are not representing the community, nor its views.
I'm with Robin and Nancy - nothing I've read about this group supports any suggestion that they "represent" Leslieville in a broader sense, or that their mandate goes beyond getting the TTC tracks moved off of Leslie St (or perhaps publicly attacking a local business that didn't want to give a cheese discount).

They should not be using that name unless and until they establish some credibility in that regard.

Robin on Brooklyn said:
+1 that a name change is necessary. As Nolin and others have said, your group has not been chosen by the community, therefore, you are not representing the community, nor its views.
For what it's worth, I also personally don't want to be referred to as a "Leslievillian". I may be a bit biased (sarcasm intended), but I prefer Leslieviller.

AllyMacD said:
We are also selling Leslievilian and Leslieville Forever (complete with Maple Leaf) buttons at $2.00 each. If you are interested please e-mail for more information.
Just saw this article quoting the chair of the LRA... the more I read about this group, the more uncomfortable it makes me feel. This is not the face we want to put forward to the rest of the city, and I don't feel it's a true and complete representation of Leslieville residents. A dozen local anti-TTC activists do not a Residents Association make.

Not to mention that the group is trying to absorb the area defined as "...roughly encompass[ing] an area bounded by Lake Ontario to the south, Gerrard Street East and the railway corridor to the north, Coxwell Avenue to the east and the Don Valley Parkway to the west." Look out, Riverside!
I did not choose the buttons or the name. I respect people's comments and I will certainly pass them along. We are incorporating this association and then all members of the association will be involved in selecting the Board of Directors. I have absolutely no interest in sitting on it. I know some people feel this is an anti TTC agenda, and nothing could be further from the truth. I have never asked anyone to choose a side regarding the routes, all that I have ever wanted was to ensure everyone was informed as the communication process used was flawed. I still believe everyone in a community should be informed directly and that tax information and census records used to ensure that all residents receive the same information. My personal support for this Association comes from this fundamental belief.

We have not created the mandate or the by-laws and this process is open for feedback. We are very anti draconian and certainly do not wish to create rules governing what curtains people can display in their front windows or to speak for people who have opted not to be members. The purpose for this association is to create a centralized location for residents to receive information about the various projects, upgrades, improvements, community info meetings etc. happening in and around the community and to strengthen our community.

Anyone can participate, this is not a closed association. Any concerns or feedback should be directed to the e-mail address I provided. I only replied to this thread as Nolin asked me to. I am not the spokesperson and am on the Association representing my condominium's concerns (which, for the record, is gated to ensure our court yard does not become a public right of way and the only rules enforced are the City's by-laws). There is another dozen or so people involved, people who are donating their time and money to respond to feedback we have received about individuals (especially Chinese residents) who have felt disenfranchised.

If you are passionate about how you are represented and who is representing you please get involved by either volunteering or sharing your feedback directly to the e-mail as Caron and I are the only ones who are actively on the Leslieviller site and neither of us wish to be spokespeople.

I will encourage that a designated Leslieviller account be opened to encourage an online discussion and collaboration for the creation of this association and to choose a representative to monitor it. But as I said, this is not my baby and I am not comfortable being the online representative.
Add me to the chorus of those who are less than thrilled that a group opposed to the TTC plans for Ashbridges to have called themselves the Leslieville Residents Association. I am even more concerned that this self appointed group has now decided to incorporate and that their mandate will now represent all Leslievillers with zero community input.

I would strongly suggest this so called Residents Association cease all incorporation plans until a public forum is held and clear mandate is decided upon by all residents who wish to have a voice.
Hear, hear!

Jen C said:
Add me to the chorus of those who are less than thrilled that a group opposed to the TTC plans for Ashbridges to have called themselves the Leslieville Residents Association. I am even more concerned that this self appointed group has now decided to incorporate and that their mandate will now represent all Leslievillers with zero community input.

I would strongly suggest this so called Residents Association cease all incorporation plans until a public forum is held and clear mandate is decided upon by all residents who wish to have a voice.
The meeting last week was was done to touch base with the community and identify those interested in establishing a resident's association and to also identify other issues that should be focussed on. The TTC discussion took place during the first part of the meeting and then the floor was opened up for 2 sets of questions, ones relating to TTC (about 15 minutes) and the remainder of the time focussing on non TTC issues and after the formal meeting was adjourned an informal meet and greet was done to ensure anyone who was not comfortable speaking in front of a group could be heard. The hall was filled to capacity and we had standing room only. There are many supporters of this initiative. We are actively seeking feedback for the mandate and what boudaries should be considered for Leslieville. This is not a closed process we held the first meeting to open a dialogue with the community and to inform neighbours about the first issue identified as a concern to some of the residents.

If members of this site were not able to attend the meeting and would like the minutes please e-mail the association and ask for a copy. All the points being made are valid and appreciated.

I would like to stress that an open forum was held and that community input was received and continues to be received. If you would like a second meeting that focuses solely on the formation of the association then please e-mail this suggestion. If you would like to be directly part of the process then e-mail and ask to be included.

This is not happening behind closed doors. I am talking about it to ensure everyone is informed and aware of its creation to ensure that everyone has the chance to be part of its development. The founding members are just the individuals who saw the value of uniting neighbours above and beyond politics and specific issues and have volunteered their time, expertise (we have a wide variety of professionals from all walks of life) and money to make it a reality.

We want to do this for the community and believe it critical and necessary for the community to help design the association, hence the initial meeting.I apologize if this has not been stated more clearly in earlier discussions.

Jen C said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LESLIEVILLE ON TWITTER

© 2014   8844615 Canada Inc.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service