The Leslieviller will always be free to use.
Donations are sincerely appreciated.
  Follow activity on The Leslieviller
in your favorite social networks:

Thanks to our advertisers for keeping this site free to use! If you'd like to advertise on The Leslieviller, start with this information.

Dropped by The Jerk on Thursday Jan 5 and the lovely ladies there told me that at the end of January they will be closing. Seems the building was sold. They didn't know much else but I speculate some condo's will be popping up as that whole stretch of Broadview is currently a construction zone. 

Views: 1766

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just agree to disagree and settle it in the mud ladies.

I think we can all agree though that we are sorry to see the Real Jerk go and we hope they relocate - I think that was the original point.

Amen! on that note. I think that space for lease at gerrard and carlaw (old donut shop) beside the new Playpen would be an ideal location. Best of luck to the Real Jerk.

That would be a great spot - if its big enough - I'm not sure if it is?

Restaurants come and go...nothing is forever. Look at the changes in Greektown (the Danforth) since the 60's....this is what happens in growing cities and even small towns. It's sad but this happens.

This is also what is exciting about growing cities.....CHANGE

Scratch Egg what insight has your 'education'  given you that I am missing?

I'm surprised that hasn't been purchased for more condos.  Most real-estate people seem to think Carlaw is ripe for condos up to Riverdale Ave.  Corner lot, currently vacant retail that's been empty for some time, streetcar line.  I wouldn't be surprised if the strip mall there has been targeted as well.  

You're missing that the Danforth has been that way well before the 60's.  

Hey Ara.... Can you keep us posted on what you hear about this development? I'm trying to keep an open mind, but I'm not optimistic about the future of Queen/Broadview. Part of it is that I've been a regular at the Jerk since I moved to the area in 2004. Emotional attachment aside, I worry that increasing rents  will eventually drive the independent businesses out of the neighbourhood and that they'll be replaced by "urban box" chain retailers. I hope that doesn't happen, but I can't help fearing it will.

Ara Mamourian said:

The Real Jerk site seems to be the last piece of the puzzle for the developer. The dilapidated eyesore of a funeral home and the run down BMO along with the Real Jerk site will be a fantastic development. Actually it would be nice if part of the BMO bldg could be incorporated into the new development, it's a nice building just needs a bit of TLC. Density restrictions on Queen are much tighter than those at Dundas and Carlaw. Not sure if it's going to be too tall (I'd max it at 7 stories). Main level retail is almost a guarantee. Unfortunately Scratch, being this close to downtown this development is inevitable (and so are the many that are to follow).

I for one am happy to see that corner get cleaned up. I would also like to see the local business stay local. I'm sure the restauranteurs will find a great spot close by.

Does anybody know who the developer is?  I'm assuming the new landlord is a developer.  

Buckingham Properties, it would appear. Bill Mandelbaum is the president. Here's his comment to the Toronto Star.

"On Tuesday, Mandelbaum said in an email that “I recognize that The Real Jerk has been in the area for quite some time and I regret the short notice that was given to them.” But he noted that the restaurant’s owners knew about negotiations for the sale, which had been ongoing for over a year, and added that it was their previous landlord’s responsibility to keep the tenants informed that a deal was imminent.

Mandelbaum said plans for the site had not been finalized."

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1112988--the-real-jerk-restaura...

Scratch Egg said:

Does anybody know who the developer is?  I'm assuming the new landlord is a developer.  

Looking at Mandelbaum's comment again, I'm getting kind of steamed. If his company's plans aren't finalized, why the rush to move the Jerk? Surely, he could have given them some time to find a new home. I'm really starting to dislike this guy.

Looks like he's branching out from running a limo service: http://www.manta.com/ic/mtq59nf/ca/buckingham-livery-services

Cooper said:

Looking at Mandelbaum's comment again, I'm getting kind of steamed. If his company's plans aren't finalized, why the rush to move the Jerk? Surely, he could have given them some time to find a new home. I'm really starting to dislike this guy.

My office Core Realty Group, actually brokered the deal on behalf of the seller. The sales representative was Lisa Clarke.

People are  correct in saying that Riverside/Leslieville is already having it's "boomlet" and has been for some time.. 
There are currently many people trying to put together parcels in the area for this type of development. in fact, I currently have another parcel a block away.

The property in mention, The Real Jerk has been a topic of development as a parcel component for quite some time now, both by business owners, developers and the community.

My grandfather drove the bread wagon during the depression in this area, both my parents grew up in the east end and over the years we've seen remarkable change in all the generations in my family and I'm sure there will be many more.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LESLIEVILLE ON TWITTER

© 2014   8844615 Canada Inc.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service