The Leslieviller will always be free to use.
Donations are sincerely appreciated.
  Follow activity on The Leslieviller
in your favorite social networks:

Thanks to our advertisers for keeping this site free to use! If you'd like to advertise on The Leslieviller, start with this information.

Can we either find a new formula for identifying "Top Members" on the leaderboard page or automatically disqualify candidates from the list?  Liz West is currently listed as number 1 and, while I have nothing against her or her campaign, I think this is extraordinarily misleading given that she has only posted 4 times on this site.  I presume the formula result comes from the traffic on her candidacy post in the Community News section but, having read that thread, very little has to do with Liz's campaign per se and almost none was actually contributed by her.  When I saw that Liz was number 1 I automatically thought that she was an active member of the Leslieviller community, in and out of many threads and over a significant period of time and I would view that as a positive factor on the part of a candidate.  However, given the limited number of posts by her on her own thread I thought I would run a search and found that she had only posted the 4 times and only in connection with her candidacy thread. 

I think this does a disservice to the other candidates whose threads could just as easily have been hijacked in the manner that Liz's was.

Just my two cents.

Mel C

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would agree and suggest that the 'leaderboard' be removed or at least made less prominent. I seem to recall that it is a new addition to the top of the page so perhaps it is easily changed? Nolin - your thoughts?
Hi Mel - thanks for your post. The Leaderboards feature is a new (and still being tuned) addition to the Ning software we use to run The Leslieviller. I agree with you that the determination of some of the lists is still a bit out of whack and misleading, which is why I have only put the most common posts on the homepage.

We basically have the option to turn it on or off in its entirety. If the users on the site feel that it's more misleading than it is valuable, I'm ok with disabling all of the Leaderboards and trying them again at a future date (when they're working better, or when the election is over).
I vote deleting the "Top Members" category at least until after the election.

Mel

Nolin (Admin) said:
Hi Mel - thanks for your post. The Leaderboards feature is a new (and still being tuned) addition to the Ning software we use to run The Leslieviller. I agree with you that the determination of some of the lists is still a bit out of whack and misleading, which is why I have only put the most common posts on the homepage.

We basically have the option to turn it on or off in its entirety. If the users on the site feel that it's more misleading than it is valuable, I'm ok with disabling all of the Leaderboards and trying them again at a future date (when they're working better, or when the election is over).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Leslieville Local Business Marketing - 10 ways to use TheLeslieviller.com

Posted by Nolin (Admin) on February 3, 2011 at 12:00pm 4 Comments

When I launched this site in early 2009, one of the compelling reasons for doing so was that I was struck by how many of the businesses in Leslieville are locally owned and operated.  Another big observation was (and still is) how proud most…

Continue

LESLIEVILLE ON TWITTER

© 2018   8844615 Canada Inc.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service