The Leslieviller will always be free to use.
Donations are sincerely appreciated.
  Follow activity on The Leslieviller
in your favorite social networks:

Thanks to our advertisers for keeping this site free to use! If you'd like to advertise on The Leslieviller, start with this information.

Wouldn't it be nice to see how The NDP's can make a difference?

this is a great article... check it out.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/story/2011/04/27/cv...

Tags: article's, canada, ndp, news, parties, political, politics

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Did you even read what Yosha wrote?  I wanted to make it clear I didn't read about how awesome Leslieville was in Toronto Life & rush over to drop 700k on a house.
Jack always wins here, I feel like my vote is wasted but I still vote.  We all should.

Retro Rebel said:

Kelly - I've lived here for 19 years. I didn't realize this was a competition. What's difficult to understand is why voting for the NDP enrages people so much. The NDP's supported this community - its growth and its diversity. Of course, you - everyone - should vote according to your values. Good luck, tomorrow.

happy voting all.... nothin like a little fire before the vote!

Am I dreaming or wasn't this riding solidly Liberal - with Dennis Mills?- for years before Jack ran nationally here? I think we can safely say the community makes change when change is needed, non?

You are correct Trish.  Solidly Liberal from 1988 to 2004.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto%E2%80%94Danforth

And I wager that when Jack Layton retires the hood will be red once again.  Whenever that may be.

Trish Krause said:

Am I dreaming or wasn't this riding solidly Liberal - with Dennis Mills?- for years before Jack ran nationally here? I think we can safely say the community makes change when change is needed, non?

Dennis Mills held it 1988-2004. Jack's held it since. Prior to Dennis Mills, Bob Rae, Lynn MacDonald, and John Gilbert for the NDP; 1963 it went Liberal for a term. before that, was *Progressive* Conservative from 45-63. More info available at http://www.parl.gc.ca/About/Parliament/FederalRidingsHistory/hfer.a...

Thanks for info, Pat. And the accuracy.

YOSHA SIFFERMAN said:

"Are you aware that it is historically a working class neighbourhood ...?"

"I don't know about you ... but I don't want to see the long-time residents in this beautiful neighbourhood squeezed out due to gentrification, nor do I want a WalMart down the street."

Yeah, you'll never find working-class people shopping at Walmart.  If it's one thing they hate, it's low prices, convenience, and selection. 

No, Joe Lunchbucket would much rather ride his $2400 imported European bicycle down a quaint cobblestone boulevard to buy his artisanal baguette at a cute little pâtisserie, run by some guy named "Stefan", who smells of hand lotion, for $9.  What else goes with a bottle of organic, fair-trade white wine, to be shared with one's life-partner?  Guys who spend their days spreading roofing tar for a living, are just like that!

"And you know who you have to thank for the absence of WalMart - the residents who fought against it, our councillor Paula Fletcher and yes...Jack Layton."

If anyone knows the hard-scrabble life of sharecroppers, it's those two.  Thank God they've spared the lumpenprole the horror of Walmart.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

LESLIEVILLE ON TWITTER

© 2014   8844615 Canada Inc.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service